BPS & US
The British Psychological Society (BPS)
Qualifications in Test Use in Detail
Overview of qualifications
The British Psychological Society currently offers qualifications in educational, forensic and occupational testing as follows:
Educational testing qualifications include:
Assistant Test User
Forensic testing qualifications include:
Assistant Test User
Occupational testing qualifications include:
Assistant Test User
Specialist in Test Use
The Euro-Test CertificateIn addition the BPS offers the Level 2 Euro-Test Certificate. This award is accredited by the European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations (EFPA) and is available to all test users holding both a Test User: Occupational, Ability and Test User: Occupational, Personality qualification. Currently this qualification is not available for educational or forensic testing.
Who are the qualifications for?
The BPS qualifications in psychological testing are relevant to anybody wishing to make use of tests in educational, forensic or occupational settings, as it is based solely on the ability to demonstrate appropriate competence. There are no pre-requisites for working towards the qualifications in psychological testing, though some qualifications require the successful completion of prior qualifications. However, not having experience of working in the context where the testing will take place may provide a significant obstacle to achieving the qualification. It must be stressed that the scheme is focused on psychological testing and is not a qualification in educational, forensic or occupational psychology.
Benefits of Qualifications in Psychological Testing
The British Psychological Society’s first qualification in psychological testing was launched in 1991. Since then the range of qualifications has been expanded and updated to reflect developments and current practice in psychological testing. A BPS qualification in test use gives you the following benefits:
1. Certification that you are trained to the internationally recognised gold standard in Occupational, Educational or Forensic testing, giving you access to psychological tests that would otherwise be restricted.
2. Membership of the BPS Register of Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU), the online register of those current and active BPS-qualified test users.
3. Free online access to reviews of over 160 psychological / psychometric tests
4. Free e-Subscription to The Psychologist, the monthly publication of the British Psychological Society, eligibility to join the Divisions, Sections and Special Groups of the BPS, access to the BPS members benefits package and the opportunity to upgrade to Affiliate Membership of BPS for a discounted rate receive discounts on BPS workshops, conferences and events.
5. Quarterly editions of Assessment & Development Matters (ADM) delivered to you and available online at the PTC website
6. Discounted rates on selected Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) training courses such as ‘Neuroscience for leaders and managers’, ‘The psychology of influencing and negotiation’, ‘An introduction to the psychology of management’, ‘The psychology of coaching: Individuals and teams’ and ‘ The psychology of organisational culture and climate’.
Other benefits of Psychometrix training include:
a clear specification of what test users need to know and be able to do to use tests effectively and ethically in different contexts
a set of minimum standards for the use of tests and testing procedures
a flexible approach to training which allows test users to choose qualifications most appropriate to their current context whilst also giving them a route for the ongoing development of their competence
evidence of internationally recognised qualifications which will be transferable between training providers whose assessment methods have been deemed as appropriate by the Society, and between various publishers and other suppliers of test materials a Code of Good Practice for Psychological Testing which outlines the responsibilities and expectations of test users (see Appendix 1)
a clear specification of what test users need to know and be able to do in order to use tests effectively and ethically in different contexts
employment opportunities through registering qualified test users on the RQTU where their qualifications can be readily checked by potential employers and where their new qualifications are automatically updated
a specific set of objectives for students which they can match against the content of their training course and related assessments.